Saturday, December 4, 2010

Thoughts.

I often think about this but today found out about a friend of a friend who is wondering what to do about a contract that was changed. Won't give details as they aren't mine to give.

But it got me to thinking NY Publishing NAME, Small Press or ePublishing. Now I love Lyrical Press and MuseitUp Publishing and am extremely happy there. But like all authors I dream of seeing my book on the shelves at the book store. Walking into a bookstore and maybe seeing people picking up my book and showing it to their companion going "You have to read this!"

Now I can't fool myself into believing that I'll be the next J.K. Rowling, John Grisham, and all those other authors that we know the name of. And if I'm completely honest I don't want to be. Don't get me wrong the money would be nice... VERY nice. But I would rather have devoted readers that want my books.

I try to think what would I consider a fair advance from a publisher. $1,000? $3,000? $5,000? What if they offered one and then halved it? Would I still be willing to go forward just for the chance to be on the bookshelf? Truthfully I don't know - I've never been in that situation.

Even hearing bad things from friends of friends - I won't let go of my dream. I may never make it BUT if I don't reach for the stars I might as well turn off my computer and not even try.

4 comments:

  1. I would rather have devoted readers that want my books.

    My feelings exactly Delilah, and not a dilemma I would relish being in at all. I wonder if the publishers know that's what we really want, or are their ambitions entirely their own?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is something of a dilemma. I would want to have my book out there, but when a house did this to me I'd have to wonder whether the book would get the push it would need from them. If they can't be trusted for their offer of an advance, I'd be inclined to cut my losses and look elsewhere.
    Honestly, I think the day of significant advances are about at an end for the typical author. Maybe big names can still demand huge payoffs but that's about it.
    E-publishing does one thing if nothing else. It allows the book to be available for as long as the line exists (assuming the book isn't cancelled). No money up front, but what you earn is yours to keep. Enough e-books hitting new readers each month and you have a pretty good residual income from your writing. My thoughts, anyway.
    Cheers,
    Pat Dale

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll repeat what I said the first time about this situation. I would bring a lawyer who specializes in publication and have the lawyer talk to the publisher. A contract is a legal agreement to perform a service and it cannot be changed if both parties don't agree to it. Your friend should bring her lawyer to any future negotiations. I don't think she should cave to illegal actions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like you, Delilah, I'd love to be the next J.K. Rawlings, but for now I'm thrilled to be with a house I trust. But never give up the dream. We may be a fish in a big pond, but we're swimming! :-)

    ReplyDelete